Call us at: (813) 929-5000
What it is: Urine leaks out before you can get to the bathroom.
Causes: Many possible reasons cause women to leak urine. It can happen:
- After pregnancy or childbirth
- With increasing age
- After menopause due to less estrogen
- After a hysterectomy
- When the muscles that help to hold or release urine are weakened
- When a urinary passage is blocked
- When the nerves that control the bladder are damaged
- With physical problems associated with aging
- Leakage of small amounts of urine during physical movement (coughing, sneezing, exercising).
- Leakage of large amounts of urine at unexpected times, including during sleep.
- Urinary frequency and urgency
- Untimely urination because of physical disability, external obstacles, or problems in thinking or communicating that prevent a person from reaching a toilet.
- Unexpected leakage of small amounts of urine because of a full bladder.
- Leakage that occurs temporarily because of a situation that will pass (infection, taking a new medication, colds with coughing).
- Bladder stress test
- Urinalysis and urine culture
- Bladder retraining and Kegal exercises
- Vaginal devices